Erberto Carboni started his studies in architecture in 1921, but also became interested in graphic and industrial design. His career began at the famous Studio Boggeri, but later he worked on his own. From 1953 to 1960 he worked for Bertolli, for whom he designed a whole series of magazine ads and posters. He mixed photography, graphics, and inventive typography and brought a rigorous modernism into his work. In 1954 he designed the ‘Delfino’ (dolphin) chair.